Relax & Revitalize Mint Chocolate Chip CBD Cookies (Recipe)
By Kelly Ellis, author for Maddyn
Today I’m sharing a new recipe I whipped up in response to my husband’s sadness over having consumed the very last of our pre-quarantine Mint Chocolate Chip Girl Scout cookies several days ago. (To say he has a sweet tooth is a significant understatement.) After my recent post about Summer CBD-Infused Drinks featuring Maddyn’s mint-flavored full spectrum tincture, I was curious to find out what else I could make with it. So, I put these two things together and came up with what I thought was an amazing solution – Mint Chocolate Chip CBD Cookies!
I have been a loyal CBD oil user since it became legal in the US back in late 2018. Even so, I had not yet attempted to infuse it into food, only beverages, and wasn’t sure how this all worked. Would the CBD still be effective when baked into a cookie? How much do I need to use to get the benefits from each cookie? After doing some research with trusted sources, here is what I learned.
- You can use CBD oil in baked goods without impacting the potency. According to HuffPost, it needs to be extracted into fat which means oil-based tinctures like Maddyn’s will work. I tested this for myself after I made my cookies and can personally confirm that I felt the typical sense of calm and focus that I feel when taking the tinctures via a dropper.
- The recommended amount to use depends on your typical dosage. I take 1-2 droppers of Maddyn’s 600 mg tincture per day which equates to 20-40 mg per day. When measuring out things for my recipe, I did my best to make sure that each individual cookie had around 20 mg of CBD.
Once I felt confident that I’d still get the expected CBD benefits and that I could successfully measure out how much to use – I went into the kitchen and started experimenting. Full transparency, I made one attempt to get real fancy with a unique recipe and it was a total fail. So, I went right back to the traditional chocolate chip cookie ingredients although I did try to use organic and healthier options when possible. (There’s a reason why the old school recipes are still around today!)
If you decide to follow my recipe exactly as it is, it’s important to note that the batter is going to seem a bit dry and you may be tempted to add liquid. I resisted this temptation, and the end result was perfect! That said, I did have to do the final mixing with my hands. Also, I estimated that my batter would yield about 30 cookies, so I used a full bottle of 600 mg tincture which comes out to roughly 20 mg per cookie.
After I had my batter completed, I decided to make the cookies in small batches of 6-8 so I could experiment with the size of the cookies and baking time. Experience has taught me that baking recipes are really just guidelines and you have to play around to figure out how your oven will work with you to find what you like best. For example, I prefer a thicker and gooier cookie while my husband likes them thinner and crispier so he can dunk them in milk. During my process, I deliberately made some to my liking and some to his by varying the amount of dough and baking time.
I could smell the mint immediately as I pulled the cookies out of the oven! When it finally came time for the official taste tests, both my husband and I agreed that the flavor combos were spot on – and that we both eventually felt the typical effects we get from CBD. (For me, that’s calm and focus which actually helped me write this blog post faster than I normally would!)
This recipe can be modified to meet any dietary restrictions, flavor preferences, and CBD experience levels. Of, if you have your own favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe you can simply try adding the CBD oil to see how it works for you.
Happy CBD baking!
Relax & Revitalize Mint Chocolate Chip CBD Cookies
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt (up this to 1 tsp if you like a saltier flavor)
- 1 cup softened butter (I used organic salted butter because I like salty things paired with chocolate)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract or flavoring
- 2 large eggs
- 1 bag (12 oz.) chocolate chips (I recommend dark chocolate to pair with the mint flavor)
- 600 mg Maddyn Relax & Revitalize CBD Oil
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place parchment paper on baking sheet.
- Mix flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt then set aside.
- In a separate bowl, cream the sugars with the softened butter until smooth.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time.
- Stir in the vanilla extract and CBD oil.
- Add dry flour mixture and mix, then the chocolate chips. (Here is where I found using my hands to be the best solution).
- Roll into 2-3 tsbp balls and place 6-8 on the lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes depending on desired “doneness”.
*DISCLAIMERS: MADDYN DOES NOT SELL OR DISTRIBUTE ANY PRODUCTS THAT ARE IN VIOLATION OF THE UNITED STATES CONTROLLED SUBSTANCES ACT. ALL PRODUCTS SOLD HEREIN HAVE LESS THAN 0.3% TETRAHYDROCANNABINOL (“THC”). WE IN NO WAY GUARANTEE PERSON(S) TO PASS A DRUG TEST AFTER CONSUMING OUR PRODUCTS. *THE PRODUCTS SOLD HEREIN HAVE NOT BEEN EVALUATED BY THE FOOD AND DRUG ADMINISTRATION (“FDA”) AND ARE NOT INTENDED TO DIAGNOSE, TREAT, OR CURE ANY DISEASE. EVERYONE’S BODY IS DIFFERENT SO ALWAYS CHECK WITH YOUR PHYSICIAN BEFORE STARTING