6 Ways to Speed Up Post-Workout Muscle Recovery
We all know that exercise is an essential part of a healthy daily routine. It helps strengthen our muscles and joints and also helps release endorphins that can help improve our mood. That said, any workout routine is going to put a strain on your muscles. Yes, this is a good thing when you are trying to get stronger and leaner, but it can lead to pain and injury if you don’t tend to muscle recovery to ensure your body recharging and ready for the next workout.
In this article, we explore some tried and tested ways that you can help your body speed up muscle recovery throughout the day. Before we dive in, please remember to always check with your physician regarding any changes in diet and exercise. It’s also important to be mindful of any existing injuries and to tailor your routines accordingly. And, as always, listen to your body when it comes to working out and stretching – pushing yourself towards discomfort and/or pain can lead to injuries that may take a lot of time to address.
Now, here are 6 easy but effective ways that you can help speed up daily post-workout muscle recovery:
- Eat Lean Proteins Throughout the Day. Protein is literally the building block of life. It is essential to building muscle mass as well as hormones and enzymes, and it helps regulate our immune systems. Diets rich in lean proteins are beneficial as they help squash hunger, filling you up faster while helping your body build muscle – which burns more calories than fat. Studies show that starting your day with a healthy breakfast rich in lean proteins can help your body recharge after sleep while also setting you on the right path for your day. Then, when it comes time for your daily workout, it helps to have a little protein before or after (depending on your personal preference) to help balance and refuel.
- Stay Hydrated. According to Men’s Journal, drinking plenty of water can help flush out toxins from your body and prevent dehydration, which can make post-workout muscle soreness even more painful. That’s why it’s key to hydrate before, during, and after your daily workout. While it may be tempting to reach for a sugary or artificially sweetened sports beverage, we always suggest good old H20 as your hydration source of choice.
- Stretch After Your Workout. Adding 5-10 minutes of light stretching after your daily workout can help reduce any soreness later on, increase your flexibility, and reduce your risk of injury. It’s also a great way to relax and unwind after an intense routine. You should focus on the areas of your body that you worked the most, but also pay attention to your neck, back, and knees which tend to take the brunt of most physical activity. As always, pay attention to your body while stretching; you should feel a purposeful but releasing stretch without pain. If any stretching starts to feel painful, scale it back and let your body adjust over time.
- Try Foam Rollers. Since we all can’t get a post-workout massage on a daily basis, why not try the next best thing? Foam rollers are a great alternative that can help target specific areas of the body that are knotted or tense after a workout. If you are new to foam rollers, keep in mind that it will take a little time to get used to the feeling which may be slightly uncomfortable at first. But, once you get used to it, you will look forward to helping relieve your sore muscles.
- Prioritize Your Sleep Comfort. By now, you know that a good night’s sleep helps your body and mind recover after a long day. It’s easier to fall asleep, and stay asleep throughout the night, when you are sleeping on a comfortable mattress with supportive pillows, breathable sheets, and other bedroom elements that promote great sleep. If you aren’t sleeping well, this can impact your workout performance the next day, so be sure to assess your bedroom environment and consider what needs an upgrade.
- Get a Little Help from CBD Oil. High-quality, plant-based CBD oil products can help with your body’s daily recovery needs by helping to promote calm and focus, promoting better rest, and helping you bounce back after working out. For example, topical CBD creams can help ease muscle soreness quickly when applied directly to the affected areas. Look for products that contain ingredients with relief potential, like the arnica and natural menthol oil used in our Renew & Recharge topical cream.
Remember, your body relies on the decisions you make each and every day to relax, renew, and recharge after all of the strain you place on it. The tips shared above are easy to integrate into any daily routine, and when practiced regularly can help keep you feeling great, which will help you stay dedicated to your preferred workout routine.
*DISCLAIMERS: MADDYN DOES NOT SELL OR DISTRIBUTE ANY PRODUCTS THAT ARE IN VIOLATION OF THE UNITED STATES CONTROLLED SUBSTANCES ACT. ALL PRODUCTS SOLD HEREIN HAVE LESS THAN 0.3% TETRAHYDROCANNABINOL (“THC”). WE IN NO WAY GUARANTEE PERSON(S) TO PASS A DRUG TEST AFTER CONSUMING OUR PRODUCTS. *THE PRODUCTS SOLD HEREIN HAVE NOT BEEN EVALUATED BY THE FOOD AND DRUG ADMINISTRATION (“FDA”) AND ARE NOT INTENDED TO DIAGNOSE, TREAT, OR CURE ANY DISEASE. EVERYONE’S BODY IS DIFFERENT SO ALWAYS CHECK WITH YOUR PHYSICIAN BEFORE STARTING USING OF ANY OF OUR PRODUCTS