3 Insanely Delicious CBD-Infused Summer Treats
By Kelly Ellis, author for Maddyn
Several weeks ago, I opened up my personal “test kitchen” to concoct some fun and fabulous CBD-infused summer beverages using Maddyn’s natural mint-flavored tincture. I have to admit, I was pretty impressed with the results given that I’m a novice when it comes to drink recipes! So many of my friends and followers of Maddyn reached out after trying the recipes for themselves, and everyone was in agreement – this mint-flavored tincture is a great addition to their recipe arsenals. So, it should come as no surprise that I’ve been thinking a lot about new summer-inspired recipes featuring the tincture to take this to the next level.
Before I unveil my latest culinary inventions, I want to explore the CBD-infusion trend and why Maddyn’s tincture is such a great way to get started with CBD and cooking. This will be especially helpful if you are new to CBD and still trying to figure out what all of the hype is really about.
CBD: From Little-Known Substance to Cultural Phenomenon
Hemp-derived CBD started “having its moment” in late 2018 when the 2018 Farm Bill passed making it legal in all 50 states. Prior to this, the American public knew very little about CBD and typically associated hemp with clothing or textiles. CBD products sold in the U.S. must have less than 0.3% THC, the psychoactive substance that’s found in larger quantities in hemp’s sister plant, marijuana, which means that they will not cause you to feel “high”.
Instead, hemp-derived CBD is intended to work with your body’s endocannabinoid system to promote more calm, focus, better rest, and when applied topically, faster muscle recovery. To put it another way, CBD is a natural plant-based substance that can help promote overall health and wellness when added to your daily routine. And, today it is one of the fastest-growing products in the U.S. marketplace.
From Cultural Phenomenon to Culinary Staple
Once the “green wave” of CBD took over, it wasn’t long before chefs and recipe bloggers everywhere began to take notice. Many of the local bars and restaurants in Chicago, where I live, began offering CBD-infused beverages touting a boost of stress-relief with each sip. Friends began sharing recipes for CBD-infused cookies, shakes, and salad dressings.
But, because most CBD tinctures have an “earthy” taste, its use in cooking was often reserved for recipes that would mask its flavor. Enter Maddyn Relax & Revitalize natural mint-flavored tincture. This product addressed the most common complaint from CBD tincture users which was about the taste. By adding natural mint from Washington, Maddyn was able to create a final product that delivered on calm, focus, and better rest while also offering a calm, soothing, and familiar flavor.
It also made Maddyn’s tincture the perfect addition to food and beverage recipes that call for mint flavor!
Exploring New Ways to Use CBD Tincture in Summer Recipes
After developing some pretty tasty CBD-infused summer drink recipes, I was ready to see what I could do next. I enlisted the help of my friend and colleague, Stefani Van der Voort, whom I also recently converted from another brand of CBD to Maddyn and went back into my test kitchen for a little fun. I hope you enjoy all of these new recipes, which are really easy to make and customizable based on your preferences.
Before you start, remember that every individual is different when it comes to CBD dosage. I use Maddyn’s 600 mg strength tincture, which provides about 20 mg of CBD per full dropper. If you are new to CBD, you may want to start with the 300 mg strength and work your way into what works best for you.
Now…enjoy these delicious and refreshing summer-inspired CBD-infused recipes!
Blueberry& Mint CBD-Infused Lemonade
Ingredients (4 Servings):
- ¾ cup white, granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2 cups of cold water
- ¼ cup of wild blueberries
- 4 droppers of Maddyn Relax & Revitalize mint-flavored CBD tincture (1 dropper per serving; you can use either the 300 mg or 600 mg strengths depending on preference)
- Start with making simple syrup by mixing sugar and 1 cup of water into a small saucepan and simmer. Stir to ensure the sugar dissolves completely and remove from heat.
- In the pitcher, drop the blueberries in the bottom and muddle (alternate option to this step would be muddling in individual cups).
- Combine the simple syrup with lemon juice and cold water and pour in the pitcher over the muddled blueberries.
- Add Maddyn CBD tincture (alternate option would be to add 1 dropper to each cup rather than in the pitcher).
- If the lemonade is a little sweet for your taste, add a little more lemon juice to it.
- Chill for 30-40 minutes.
Watermelon, Mint & Feta Salad with CBD-Infused Dressing
Ingredients (4 Servings):
- ½ seedless watermelon
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 droppers of Maddyn Relax & Revitalize mint-flavored CBD tincture (you can use either the 300 mg or the 600 mg strength depending on preference)
- ¼ cup fresh mint leaves (chopped)
- ¾ cup crumbled organic feta cheese (sheep’s milk feta recommended)
- ¾ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- Cut up the watermelon into small cubes and place in a bowl. (Or, if you are lucky like me your local grocer will sell pre-cubed watermelon which is what I used!)
- In a separate small bowl, mix the olive oil and Maddyn CBD tincture together.
- Drizzle the CBD-infused olive oil over the watermelon.
- Sprinkle the fresh chopped mint leaves and the crumbled organic feta cheese over the watermelon.
- Finish it off by adding the salt and pepper and mix everything throughout.
- Chill the mixture in the fridge for about 20 minutes prior to serving.
Relax & Revitalize Mint Drizzle Ice Cream Sunday
Ingredients (1 Serving):
- 2 scoops of your favorite vanilla or cookies & cream ice cream (I used coconut milk-based ice cream to be just a *little bit* healthier)
- 1 dropper of Maddyn Relax & Revitalize mint-flavored CBD tincture (you can use either the 300 mg or 600 mg strength depending on preference)
- Scoop your favorite ice cream into a bowl.
- Add Maddyn CBD tincture and mix it in with your ice cream. Or, if you prefer you can treat it like a topping and leave it on top of your scoops.
- Viola – you are done!